Youth Leadership Pasco Program
The Youth Leadership Pasco program will be held from January to April 2022, with online applications launching due by December 6, 2021.
Student applicant must complete their application form online to be considered for the program.
This year, in addition to Juniors and sophomores, seniors are eligible to apply.
Program Goals & Objectives
Our successful record for offering an issues-oriented team learning environment for high school students and a commitment to offer a program that encourages a free exchange of ideas has built student enthusiasm for participating in our program.
- Identify youth who have leadership potential.
- Develop leadership skills in youth.
- Foster an awareness of community resources and volunteer opportunities.
- Promote participation in community service.
- Establish a life-long commitment to the role and responsibility of community citizenship.
- Promote a greater understanding of contemporary issues through interaction and problem solving with peers and community leaders.
- Students in the program have found improved achievement in high school and beyond.
- Develop pride in the communities in which they live, which will strengthen a life-long bond in Pasco County and Florida.
- Maximum class size is being determined, but is usually thirty-five students.
Youth sessions and tours are held at various locations throughout Pasco County and surrounding counties. Each Youth session is planned and coordinated by a team of Leadership Pasco alumni members and liaisons from The District of Pasco County Schools. All activities of Youth Leadership Pasco are conducted by volunteer members.
Youth Leadership Pasco is a leadership development program that informs, motivates, and increases the awareness of selected high school aged students through issue-oriented seminars and interaction with community leaders.
Program ScheduleOrientation and Team Building
- January 19, 2022 (TreeHoppers Aerial Adventure Park, Dade City)
Law Enforcement Day
- February 3, 2022 (Pasco County Detention Facility, Land 'O Lakes)
Economic Development/Government Day
- February 23, 2022 (Road Trip, Starting point to be determined)
Health Care/Community Services Day
- March 23, 2022 (Location to be determined)
- April 14, 2022 (Marchman Technical College, New Port Richey)
Graduation Ceremony and Breakfast
- April 2022 (Date to be determined.) (Heritage Springs Country Club, Trinity)
All dates and locations are subject to change.
Attendance and Travel Requirements
- Class of 2022 meets about once a month from January through April.
- Sessions are from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. but may end earlier
- To successfully complete the Youth Leadership Pasco program, a participant MUST attend the Orientation and Opening Session and miss no more than (one) of the remaining (four) days
YLP High School Student Selection Criteria
- Completed applications for Class of 2022 must be received by December 6, 2021.
- Student must possess an excellent school attendance record.
- Students are invited from all of Pasco County public high schools, private schools, or they may be home schooled.
- Student must attend school in Pasco County Florida.
- The class is made up of juniors and a few sophomores. This year seniors will be able to apply and will be given preference.
- Students do need to provide their own transportation.
- Attendance to every class is expected.
- Students are expected to make up all missed assignments from school.
- Students will receive an SRA (School Related Absence) for time missed from school.
- Normally, Principals, Assistant Principals, Guidance Counselors, Career Specialists, community members refer students to the Chair and Co-Chair.
- Have full support of their High School Principal which they represent.
- Have a desire and willingness to participate in volunteering in the community.
- Have a commitment to play a personal role in helping to shape Pasco County’s future.
The cost of the Youth Leadership Pasco Program is $35 per student
Payment is due by January 13, 2022. if the student is accepted into the program. If payment is not received, student may be asked to withdraw. Financial assistance is available; please include a letter with the application requesting the need for a fee waiver. Contact YOUTH LEADERSHIP PASCO, Barbara De Simone, Co-Chair (727) 480-2690 or Rob Aguis, Co-Chair (727) 774-1701 with any questions.